Working and living in Switzerland



myWork AG is a company with many years of experience in the field of modern personnel services. Our dynamic company has become the first point of contact for a wide range of clients in case of staff shortages.

As a non-sector-specific personnel service provider the myWork AG successfully supports a variety of enterprises in all business areas with suitable, reliable and well qualified personnel.

Working and living in Switzerland – Let us help you!

Start immediately
Would you like to live and work in Switzerland? Then myWork AG is the ideal partner for you. We will assist you with all important matters to make your relocation as easy and simple as possible.

living and working in switzerland
Moving to a new country involves a few challenges. We would gladly take care of them for you. Tell us what you need:

  • a valid working permit
  • an accommodation
  • mandatory health insurance
  • a swiss bank account
  • if necessary, a diploma recognition
  • and a lot more…

« To ensure that you can focus on the essential – your job – we will try to do everything possible to assure that you get the necessary relief. »

FAQ / Frequently asked questions

Am i allowed to work in switzerland?
People from EU-25 EFTA countries enjoy full freedom of movement. In other words, they are able to enter Switzerland, live and work here.

For a short-term employment of up to three months or 30 days per calendar year citizens of EU-25 EFTA nations do not require a permit. The only obligation is to declare their employment. This will of course be taken care of by us.

For longer stays there will be the necessity of a residence permit. Before starting your new job, you must first register with your place of residence. You must present the following:

  • a valid identity card or passport
  • a copy of your rental agreement
  • a passport photo
  • your employment contract

I am from Bulgaria or rUMANIA (eu-2)
EU-2 nationals enjoy full freedom of movement as well. This means that they are also allowed to enter, live and work in Switzerland (question above). However, the Federal Council has decided to make use of the imposed safety valve in the agreement on the free movement of labour. As of June 1, 2017 the quota of the B EU/EFTA permits (residence permits of five years duration) for nationals of Bulgaria and Romania has been reintroduced. There are 996 residence permits B EU/EFTA available each year. This applies to persons who have an employment contract in Switzerland for more than one year or for an indefinite period of time. The same applies to self-employed persons who wish to settle in Switzerland.

For more information, please visit the online site of the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM): > Entry & residence > Free Movement of Persons Switzerland – EU/EFTA > Living and Working in Switzerland > Bulgaria and Romania (EU-2)

I am from Croatia
Since January 1, 2017 Croatian nationals have also benefited from the free movement of persons agreement, though at the moment there are only transitional provisions. For the time being, they can only be applied when taking into account the following restrictions on taking up employment.

  • Resident priority control (preferential consideration of nationals and foreigners who are already on the Swiss work market.
  • Control of wage and working conditions
  • Separate, annually increasing maximum numbers for short stay and residence permits.

Paying taxes in Switzerland
The income of foreign employees is subject to withholding tax which is directly deducted from the income of foreign employees. The amount of withholding tax one must pay varies for each canton. The withholding tax is calculated on the basis of the average gross salary and the marital status as well as the place of residence and the workplace.

DO I need health insurance?
No later than three months after your arrival or start of employment in Switzerland, you must be insured by a Swiss health insurance. Cross-border commuters residing in certain EU countries have the option of being insured by a health insurance in their country of residence instead of Switzerland.

Each insured person pays a monthly insurance fee to the chosen health insurance fund. The amount of payment needed varies for each health insurance company as well as for each canton.

do i need additional accident insurance?
If you work eight hours or more a week, then you will be insured by your employer against occupational and non-occupational accidents.

what other insurances do i need?
If you live and work in Switzerland, you have an obligatory Old-Age and Survivors’ Insurance (AHV) and a Disability Insurance (IV). The insurance with a Pension fund (pension fund or vested benefits institution) is also mandatory for employees with a certain income.

what kind of residence permits exist?
Below you will find an overview of the various permits for EU/EFTA citizens:

  • Permit L EU/EFTA (short-term residence permit)
  • Permit B EU/EFTA (residence permit)
  • Permit C EU/EFTA (Settlement Permit)
  • Permit Ci EU/EFTA (residence permit with gainful employment)
  • Permit G EU/EFTA (cross-border commuter permit)

In order to obtain a residence permit, the cantonal migration authority responsible for your place of residence must be contacted. You can apply for an extension of a residence permit at your municipality, earliest three months and latest two weeks before the expiry of your current residence permit.